Tuesday 29 May 2007

Day Two - More Snap Circuits and learninig how to solder circuits to a Vero Board!

I started off my second day by being shown some basic circuits and by being told how they were assembled. Then, I was shown how to de-solder from a Vero board. I was given a sample circuit and my task was to completely de-solder and dismantle it. To the right is a picture of all of the equipment that I was using.
Then, I had a chance to try out soldering! I soldered a few wires and one resistor onto a Vero board, which was really cool!To the left is a photo of the front of the Vero board after I had finished my soldering.


This is a close-up photo of the back of the Vero board with all of the soldering clearly visible(if you zoom in a bit!!).

After lunch, I was meant to be doing some work with a computer, installing an operating system and taking a look inside but instead, that was put off until Day Three and I did some more Snap Circuits.
My first experiment demonstrated the principles on which a street lamp works. The circuit was set up with a lightbulb and a L.D.R. When the L.D.R. was covered or brought into darkness, resistance would become very little and the lightbulb would turn on, just the same as how, once it gets dark at night, the street lamp turns on automatically. This is a photo of that circuit. I also did other small circuits involving light and a L.E.D. previously in order to prepare for tomorrow's proper circuit.

My next Snap Circuit was a little bit disappointing; after expecting to hear a montage of noises from a jungle monsoon or something, all that I got was tap-tap-tap.. This experiment was to create 'electronic rain'. Basically,the rain began when the switch was turned on and its speed could be varied with the resistor.

Luckily, my final experiment, 'Crazy Music IC', was a lot more exciting. This was a pretttty big circuit and was the most advanced that I have done. The adjustable resistor which can be seen at the top-left of the photo was set to the far-left position and the switch was turned on. This caused the relay's contacts to open and close quickly, shorting the music IC to the ground. This caused the sound level to fluctuate amusingly..!
I finished my day by doing some more work on my blog.