Friday 4 May 2007

Day 5


My last day here was a little less intensive. More of a clean-up day. To start with, I finished my work on the I.S.C. Argo. Later I went to one of the labs for a demonstration of the laws of gravity-we used a vacuum pump to suck the air out of a glass tube. Inside the tube were a penny, and a feather. When the tube was turned upside down, before the vacuum was applied, the penny predictably fell much faster. The feather after all, was being resisted by air. After the vacuum was applied, air resistance didn't matter, and so the feather fell as fast as the penny. Weird stuff, physics...


Following that I cleaned up my blog a little-adding a few photos and text, before getting to work on today's post.

You probably can't read this picture, but basically it's the graph I constructed to display the results of my previous experiment on the acceleration of gravity on two objects of different mass. It charts Time(x) against Distance(y), and gives a value for gravity.The formula used was d=at^2/2. I also received a small tutorial on Paintshop Pro, which was used to display these graphs.






This is the glass tube used for penny/feather experiment. The clips at the bottom prevent air from getting once the vacuum has sucked it out.