Monday 28 May 2007

Day One - Snap Circuits and posting my Blog!

I am a 5th Year L.C.V.P. student studying in St. Joseph's Secondary School in Tulla, Co. Clare. For my work experience, I have chosen to come to the Science Department in the University of Limerick. I will be spending a week here with the Physics and Chemistry technicians.

On my first day, I learned a little bit about circuits and a bit about managing and creating a blog site. As I couldn't arrive into the college until later than I expected, I didn't have that long a day. Firstly, I met the different people that I would be spending time with. I was then shown around the main Physics building and brought into various labs. For my last two hours, I did some work with Snap Circuits.

The first experiment that I set up was to create a Musical Doorbell which could be turned on and off with a switch.



My next experiment was a bit less basic and used quite a large circuit. The expreriment was to create a music and alarm combo. After turninig on the switch, the music and a siren could be heard together. By pressing the press switch, the siren changed to a fire engine sound. Also, covering the photoresistor would stop the music, while the siren would continue.


Another small circuit that I made was one to create a bomb sound. This was a simple circuit containing a switch, a speaker, a L.E.D. and a smaller integrated circuit. When the switch was turned on, a bomb sound was created and the L.E.D. lights flashed.


My final experiment was the most advanced. The aim of this experiment was to use a solar panel to make music. The circuit was set up as shown, with the meter, (M1), set to the LOW scale. The meter was used to show when the solar panel could supply enough current to operate the music. This was indicated by the reading being at seven or higher. When the switch is turned on, the music starts. When the music stopped, clapping my hands made it recommence.

For the last part of the day, I learned a little bit about how to set up and manage a blog site, and also how to create my own blogs from the University website.