Monday 7 March 2011

St. Als Transition Year student. :)

Monday: Today is my first day of work experience. When I got into UL I went to Maria Quinn's office. She introduced me to John Sweeney and I got a tour of the labs. When we went into the first year physics lab I was introduced to Eamon Campbell. He had a class at the time and he showed me the vernier microscope that they were using. I looked at a pencil line and my ring under the microscope and it looked amazing!! I could see loads of tiny silver specs from the lead and with my ring I could see tiny scratches. Then at 11 am when I finished my tour I visited Eamonn again and I did a laboratory experiment “measuring gravity (g) by free fall”. I really enjoyed this as I could do the experiment myself and it wasn't teachers showing me the experiment in school. When I was finished the experiment I went for lunch. After lunch I went to John Sweeney. We went to the computer room and using the results from my experiments we plotted this graph in excel:
John then showed me how to blog my weeks work.Then at 3pm I had environmental chemistry with Jimmy Kelly and 2 other transition year students Ailbhe and Leah who are twins. Jimmy showed us how all the equipment in that lab is used.

Tuesday: I started at 10am today so before my class I went for a swim in the 50m pool. My lab was scheduled in the Health Science building which meant crossing the wobbly bridge! For this lab session I was with Mary Barrett. Leah, the other transition year student was also with me. In this class we dissected a rat!!! At the start I was hesitant but it wasn't too bad. We cut open the rat's stomach and I could see the heart, lungs, kidney... every thing!! Near the end of the class one of the assistants showed us how to take out the brain. It was a lot smaller then I expected and it was kinda unpleasant and we could even hear the skull cracking.When we finished the lab we went back over the bridge for lunch. Afterwards, we attended an Enviormental Science Lecture with Dr. Tom O'Dwyer. When we finished I joined the Equine students for a lab. We were testing for equine influenza in chicken eggs. When that class finished it was time to go home. Second day finished! :(
Wednesday I spent my morning in the Health Science building. I was participating in the Leaving Certificate biology practicals with Dr.Audrey O'Grady and her students. During lunch I sat in on a mock Law trial. This was very interesting and there is a great facility for the court session. After lunch I did chemistry pedagogy lab. This was a class with Dr.Sarah Hayes and Maria Munroe. We also did some shaping/bending of glass. I enjoyed that class and it was finished at 4 pm that was my third day over!!
ThursdayI spent my morning with Mary Barret and Dr.Wynette Reddington. First I was with Mary and I had a Histology Lab with her. Then I had a tour of the labs in the materials & surface science institute (MSSi) with Wynette. I saw many different research set-ups using various equipment. For example the high resolution electron microscope,XRD !!
After Lunch I was in the chemistry lab with Jimmy Kelly. We were looking at chemicals and equipment that is used in the chemistry labs. I conducted an experiment using a pipette and other equipment. I enjoyed the day and when I was finished my experiment I was finished for the day!!
Friday: Today was my last day of work experience:( I was with John today and we were in the physics research labs. We also went down to the F1 day for TYs. It was an all Ireland competition where schools across Ireland built and designed their own F1 car. There were races and we watched a few. When we were finished we went back to the labs and john showed me a wind turbine and how it works. He also showed me how the back of my fridge works and an experiment where you remove oxygen or hydrogen from water and it forms a gas. At the end of the day I did some work on the blog and I went home.

I really enjoyed the week and would like to thank Maria Q, Maria M, Mary, John, Jimmy, Eamonn, Tom, Jackie, Audrey, Sarah, and Wynette who helped me during the week. It was a great experience!